Monday, March 28, 2016

Psalm 46:10a

Be still; and now I am God.

It is amazing how many Christians have their lives so filled with "doing" that they have little or no time to wait and be still with God.  We have used so much of our valuable time wanting to be entertained.  Even being busy doing the Lord's work can be so consuming that we lose focus on having communion with the Holy Spirit.  There is very little prayer time for individuals and in groups.  
I read in a book called "Revival! A People Saturated With God" by Brian Edwards, a pastor came back from Jerusalem to his English church in 1859.  What he saw astonished him, as he witnessed close to 40 prayer meetings, eight of them done solely by children up to twelve years of age.  We boast of our monthly fasting and prayer, or our weekly Wednesday night meetings, and many of these are filled with barely 10% of those in regular Sunday attendance.  Worse is some of the prayers are so routine, we couldn't set a dry match on fire.  Yes, I am including myself in this matter; I am no better.
Last year, I went on my normal walk, but this was different.  Most times, I spend giving my concerns and supplications to Him.  That day, I didn't get three words out what He told me not to say a word.  Understand, this wasn't what you'd expect.
He said nothing, nevertheless, the closeness and communication I had through the heart was something I will never forget.  Unfortunately, the best word to describe this communion with the Most High is indescribable, and I believe it is best interpreted only if you could experience it yourself.  
Interestingly, it is the pain caused by leaders of a church that has driven me to this passion to seek Him for answers and a "cure" for these wounds.  It is those times where I am idle (Hebrew word raphah - means to cease work, to be idle) where I have found I am more receptive to the Almighty.  The Scripture verse above literally means, to cease from activity, and let Him show you "I AM."  
I cannot conform this story, for I do not remember where I read it.  There was an preacher from the late 1800s, and he would spend two weeks in a special place in the woods, and he would only tell his wife where he was going, so he could not be distracted from his "be still" time with God.  He would come back with such a refreshing, he made it a practice to this whenever he could.
Reading the Word is good, and the Holy Spirit can speak through this as well.  Sermons, listening to praise music, all are good within their own parameters.  The Bible can lead you to God, and tells you much of Him, but until we spend time with Him, our view of Him will always be limited by how we "read" about Him.
I am longing for the weather to warm up, so I can get away and be with my Father.  Any entertainment can be sacrificed so you may be with Him.  Imagine your spouse ignoring you, watching movies, spending time with friends, going shopping and you feel hurt and rejected because you want them alone - just you and your spouse.  Now think how God feels, even giving Him fifteen minutes is good but is it enough for the One who died for you?  Is that all you give to your idols?  Who truly gets more time and affection - entertainment and friends or God?
I have been married for fifteen years, and there is no one on earth today who knows my wife as I do.  This should never stop me from being intimate with her, and likewise with me.  Once this passion begins to dissipate (and it comes unknowingly), we fall in a routine in our relationship that loses that potency through intimacy, and the same goes with our relationship with the Holy Spirit.  Once a burning flame now scarcely flickers in the dark. 
If this is so, there are other things that is taking away from its source to continue burning to be with our Father.  If you spend more time on Facebook than on your knees, it is an idol.  If you spend more time watching movies and television than in communion, what do you love more?  If your smartphone gets more attention than Him or your spouse, maybe you need to realize you have a golden calf in your heart. 
If God is you All in All, prove it.  Prove He is more than the world has to offer for you.  Give up our idols, and take that time and give it to Him.  You will never regret it, and that fire will burn hot again.


Jeremiah 9:23-24

Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment

I, as moderator of this blog, hold the right to disregard and remove all comments that are hatred by nature. I uphold the rights of opinion and know there will be disagreements. This does not allow spewing of hate for another view for satisfaction. I am open to debate, but it should be kept civil, tranquil (if possible), and Biblical.
Thanks