Sunday, March 17, 2013

Golden calves

Exodus 32:8
They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.


I placed the above Scripture for the benefit of the article I am writing. I do understand what context the verse is written in, but I hope you will see where I am going. This article pertains to me as well, and the reason is I am no different than any different than any other believer. So here goes...

Many of us have done this and sadly, there are many who continue to do this under false teachings. Many of these teachings are getting more open and more diverse in the way it is deceiving those who hear it. Golden calves are being created at the altar of many churches today. The list seems to grow each day from simple doctrinal error to blatant defaming of the atonement and denial of the blood of Calvary. Sadly, there is no teaching of discernment by the Word of God, and is it because churches are gospel deprived?

Is it possible that churches have become so entertainment-minded that believers are so trustworthy of any sermon that a pastor preaches? Even if the sermon is true, or seems to be true, it doesn't mean that we cannot test the word coming from the pulpit? Or is it just laziness...

Let me make this disclaimer for all reading this. I have not been infallible to what I have just brought forth. I have many times assumed what was being preached is the Word of God. Also note in almost all instances, I am not questioning the heart of those giving this sermons and teachings. I believe these men and women are truly passionate of the LORD, but for me, it is HOW we do this that has some wondering, while others easily and readily accept much, many blindly.

In the above Scripture, Moses was gone on the mountain in the presence of God and has been there for some time. The people were getting restless waiting, and just like us today, they did not want to wait any longer. So they went after those in the next level of leadership (if you read before, Aaron was supposed to be up with Moses, but declined with the Israelites at the foot of Mount Sinai) and requested “something should be done.” To satisfy the people, Aaron requested all the gold earrings from them, melted it down, and crafted a golden calf, even calling it the gods that delivered them from Egypt. The anger of God was then aroused. The ensuing punishment for this form of idolatry was the gold was ground down into dust, poured into water, and those who followed were told to drink from it. In essence, it went back from where it came from.

Today, we are no different. When God isn't moving, as the church is used to, then some need to “find a way” to get God off His throne. But I believe there is one difference, and the devil has taken advantage of it. I have already made note in previous post about special manifestations, so I won't write much more on it. Think about it, many Christians want a God who is more manageable for them, and an incorruptible Almighty is not one where this could be done. These people need a god that they can mold into an image that will not convict them, one that will give them what they want, but will not reprove them but love them for who they are. A god that will not challenge to improve, because they are willing to accept that the blood of Jesus at Calvary has done it for them.

The secular world has its own method, but its final destination is the same. Young adults go to college, and while many are doing the right thing, others spent money to have others do their most important papers to graduate. Once they graduate, some complain that working ANYWHERE besides their devoted occupation is below their standards, and later demand that their loans should be written off. I do understand that some colleges do take advantage of students and these grads do have difficulty finding work in this age, but why can't some take SOME work to pay off their debts. I was homeless for when I graduated from technical college, and while I was trying to find work, I was paying off my student loan from a shelter working there. I did not want that on my record. Now we have college grads blaming all their woes on everyone else, including the government that helped many of them.

The devil is pulling all the stops to take Christianity out of the world. He is constantly working on invalidating the Bible, and collaborating with popular leaders in the church to discredit the atonement done by Jesus at Calvary. Golden calves have exploded all over the altars in American churches today, and we have become bible illiterate in preventing this from happening more and more. Those who speak up against these “new moves of God” are called legalistic and Pharisee. Without listening to those who care, this act of “hard headedness” causes more of the division in the Body.

It sadness me that there are so many different denominations, so many doctrines, so many golden calves that we fight so much among ourselves that we can't come back to the old way that brought forth the church after Jesus was taken into heaven after His resurrection. More saddening is I doubt it will return to such in the first century in these last days. Why don't we return to the way It worked best, not just for the church but for evangelizing? Food for thought...

Jeremiah 6:16
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

I, as moderator of this blog, hold the right to disregard and remove all comments that are hatred by nature. I uphold the rights of opinion and know there will be disagreements. This does not allow spewing of hate for another view for satisfaction. I am open to debate, but it should be kept civil, tranquil (if possible), and Biblical.
Thanks