Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Christian music

Psalm 150:3-6     Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. [4] Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. [5] Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. [6] Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.


I am not going to write too much on this.  I also know many will not agree on me with this, so later I am going to post a website to share what a former CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) artist says about the modern industry (NOTE:  He wrote it in 1997, but it is more true today that it was at the time of the writing).

First, I will agree with the writer (which I will post some excerpts below).  When I became saved and later dedicated my life to God in 1997, at the time the current music I did not mind.  It did agree much with the secular music that I began listening to 1976 and followed through to around 1992 ( I guess I am THAT old).  That being said, I did not how to discern about such music, as it was the norm, and the worship music began having its rock appeal.  But in its attempt to be different and attempt to attract different Christians and secular listeners, it kept changing the format and the focus became more of appealing to the delf within us that the LORD above us.  One example:
Everyone has heard of Michael W. Smith.  He does have a song on the Billboard Top 40 on 1996 called "A Place in the World."  I do not know what happened, but in 1998, Michael released an album called "Live the Life," which had two hits on the CCM charts.  But when I read the lyrics for all the songs, it lacked many a reference to God, let alone mention that word I think once.  I wonder if he saw a problem with it, that in early the next decade, Mr. Smith came out with two worship CD's that brought back the faith and need of Jesus again.  Many other artists miss the mark.

Without pointing any artists out (since the list would be endless, IMO), almost all of them are influenced by the secular world.  When the outside society gathers a new type of music and lyrical challenge, many CCM artists follow suit.  Even the wording has changed dramatically, and somehow has developed into more self based the Christ.  Yes, some try to direct you to Him through the songs lyrics, travails, and do so without sounding too "religious."  From the psalmist words, the attitude should be music is created to praise Him, and He alone is worthy of our praise.  Very few songs today have any Biblical references, if at all.  Rich Mullins music was the exception.  It flowed BECAUSE of the Scripture and the beauty drew you into His presence.


The following is a couple excerpts from Steve Camps "107 Thesis" about the modern CCM industry.  The website is listed below for your reference.  I strongly encourage you to read it in its entirety.

Contemporary Christian music originally began unashamedly declaring Jesus Christ as Lord. Within a few years His name was replaced by several generic titles filtering out the name of God ultimately to the non-specific cognomen, "Love." This led to a multitude of synonyms: "The Man Upstairs"; "My Higher Power"; "Our Family Values Expert"; ad nauseam...ad infinitum. This Biblical illiteracy I've coined as theological ebonics - Biblical language diminished to cultural unintelligible chatter affirmed as profound, acceptable spiritual truth. Os Guinness is "spot on" when saying "[we have seen a change] from the emphasis on 'serving God', to an emphasis on 'serving the self' in serving God." The object of faith is no longer Christ, but our self-esteem; the goal of faith is no longer holiness, but our happiness; and the source of our faith is no longer the Scriptures, but our experience. Christian music currently reflects this. We are producing a generation of people that "feel" their God, but do not know their God. ...True revival is marked by repentance; true repentance brings restitution; true restitution demands that Christian music be owned and operated only by believers whose aim is the glory of God consistent with Biblical truth. This means that the current CCMI labels music return all the money they have received to their respective secular counterparts that purchased them and divorce alliances with them. The CCMI has gone too far down the wide road of worldliness and there is not the tenacity of character and the Biblical courage of heart and mind to do the right thing no matter what the cost.

We are truly living in the last days, and our works will be tested by fire.  I can say quite a few of my "works" will be "toast" but I hope I am getting back on the right track.  We need all of our life to be separate to Him, not mix anything of the world into His music, and call it worship.  The church is changing, and it needs one word, which I will bring on my next blog listing - REPENTANCE.

Blessings,
Michael
Jeremiah 9:24

http://www.wphafm.org/107Theses.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment

I, as moderator of this blog, hold the right to disregard and remove all comments that are hatred by nature. I uphold the rights of opinion and know there will be disagreements. This does not allow spewing of hate for another view for satisfaction. I am open to debate, but it should be kept civil, tranquil (if possible), and Biblical.
Thanks