Monday, October 29, 2012

Entertainment and Christianity

I watched a YouTube video that a person put together from A.W. Tozer that began to pique my interest. What is more amazing is that Tozer is a preacher that has been with the LORD since around the time I was born, and I am forty-seven.  Yet, did he foresaw what is now happening in the church, or did it slowly began during his time?  Unfortunately, right now I cannot get information of what it was like then to compare now.  But I can tell those what is going on in today's churches.
I have been to a few different churches, ranging from 20 to about 3000 reported members.  I have visited some in the Dallas area, those that met in schools, hotels, others in large buildings.  So, from my standpoint, I can only ascertain what I see, and in no way deciphering all churches in certain numbers in cliques.  So, I will see how I can put the two above paragraphs together.
How has the church changed in the last ten years or so?  I find that a few churches have become more entertainment oriented.  Yes, this has brought in more of the youth, but is it doing them justice?  Is this really bring them closer to Christ?  Doesn't Himself say that if men would lift Him up, He would draw all men to Thee?  Why do we need to do this in the church?  Hasn't the "old way" worked for the last thousand plus years?  Why the change?
Now the worship on many of the bigger churches has turned into a concert, with loud music and flashing lights.  Some are seeking to bring their talent mainstream, and yes, I can see how some of the "bands" have been able to produce cds.  I do also understand that some of these produce music which is uplifting and encouraging, so I am no against this.  Why have we changed the format to more of a concert atmosphere?
Until I find more information, this is based on assumption and opinion, so do not quote me and draw ire as if I basing what I about to say on fact.  How did we start getting "worship pastors, children's pastors, any specialty pastors" today?  Wasn't the old days Senior pastor, then assistant or junior pastors, and "non-classified personnel" in charge of Sunday school classes?  How did this explosion of "pastors" come forth?  More reason, why?  
Sunday school has become entertainment as well for the children.  I remember my family visited a church while we were searching for a home church and we sent the kids to the children classes.  After the service was over, we asked our kids how did they enjoy it.  Both of my kids mentioned one thing - they were the only kids who brought Bibles with them. 
Many churches have degenerated what God has called them to do.  The light is now more closely resembles the world it follows.  It uses more of the secular method to draw people to the pews.  Even much of Christian music follows all of the worldly ways.  Rock came, it followed.  You name it, every time secular music began a new fad, Christian music soon followed.  Now churches use this method to bring the youth into its doors. 
I may sound old fashioned, but I am leaning more to the "Jeremiah 6:16" approach today (I'll let you look it up, if you're curious).  Churches are now exchanging pews for more comfortable chairs, changing the old hymns that enriched Christ and the Cross to more modern versions.  More young people sit in chairs praising Jesus with a latte in their hand, and I have seen some would rather answer their phone rather than enjoy the rest of an easy going sermon, that neither convicts or entices perfecting holiness and desiring repentance. 
Christ wants a pure church when His Father says it is ready to get His Bride.  Seek a church that has a solid foundation, solid teaching, and one that is not afraid to tell the truth, regardless of how much it "hurts." 
A godless man will run from the truth if it convicts him.  A godly man will run TO the truth, so it will free him.

Blessings,
Nellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I, as moderator of this blog, hold the right to disregard and remove all comments that are hatred by nature. I uphold the rights of opinion and know there will be disagreements. This does not allow spewing of hate for another view for satisfaction. I am open to debate, but it should be kept civil, tranquil (if possible), and Biblical.
Thanks